The fourth episode of “Made for Love” addresses domestic abuse and a Catholic response.
Here’s the synopsis:
When Love Means Leaving (Feb. 1)
Domestic violence is a tragic reality in families today. The bishops issued a statement on domestic violence over 20 years ago (“When I Call for Help”), but many people do not know what the Church’s teaching is. Some people mistakenly believe that they must stay in an abusive situation. This episode features Denise, Kathy Bonner, Fr. Chuck Dahm, OP, and the founder of Catholics for Family Peace, Sharon O’Brien.
Here are some links and notes about this topic:
- USCCB: When I Call for Help: A Pastoral Response to Domestic Violence
- Here’s the resource card that Dr. Sharon O’Brien mentions: Someone You Know…
- Information about Domestic Abuse at For Your Marriage
- Catholics for Family Peace
- National Council of Catholic Women
- Women Healing the Wounds (52-page resource)
- Catholic Charities information on domestic abuse
- Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)