Information from the USCCB is found on the Promotion and Defense of Marriage page. This includes resources from the USCCB on gender ideology, and various responses of the bishops regarding current events.
The video reflections on the four English videos are available as a PDF. These can be used to supplement lesson plans, parish sessions, etc.
There are also an outline for a Parish Discussion Night for “Made for Freedom.”
In addition, the USCCB site For Your Marriage is an excellent source for marriage preparation and enrichment. In particular, check out the Bishops’ Pastoral Letter on Marriage from 2009, the pastoral response to pornography “Create in Me a Clean Heart,” and the Pope Francis Corner which keeps track of the Holy Father’s words about marriage and family.
Please note that the following content on this page is provided solely for your information and should not be interpreted as an official endorsement of the resources listed. To the best of our knowledge, the information listed here did not conflict with Catholic teaching and was accurate at the time of posting.
Marriage in Theology
- Compendium on the Family and Human Life from the Pontifical Council for the Family
Compilation of Papal teaching on life, marriage, and family
- Theology of the Body by John Paul II
Collection of audiences in which the Holy Father laid out a comprehensive theology of the body and its nuptial meaning.
- Love and Responsibility by Karol Wojtyla (John Paul II)
Based on his extensive pastoral experience with married couples, this book sets out JPII’s personalistic viewpoint on human love and sexuality.
- Not Just Good, But Beautiful
A compilation of academic papers from the Humanum conference in Rome in 2014, including Pope Francis’ opening remarks. This work is ecumenical and interreligious in scope.
- Three to Get Married by Fulton Sheen
Classic text examining the relationship of the married couple and God.
Philosophy/Law on the Meaning of Marriage
- 20 Answers: Marriage & Sex by Catholic Answers
This is an apologetics resource from Catholic Answers with twenty common questions about the meaning of sexuality and marriage with easy-to-read answers.
- Debating Same-Sex Marriage by John Corvino and Maggie Gallagher
In this debate-book, both Corvino and Gallagher put forth what they consider the best arguments for their side of the issue and refute the others’ position.
- Defending Marriage by Anthony Esolen
The Dante scholar from Providence College lays out “Twelve Arguments for Sanity” regarding marriage.
- Same-Sex Marriage and Religious Liberty edited by Douglas Laycock, Anthony Picarello, Jr., and Robin Fretwell Wilson
A focused look at the American legal system and the possible effects of marriage redefinition on religious freedom.
- Truth Overruled by Ryan Anderson
An analysis of the Supreme Court decision in Obergefell v. Hodges and its implications for culture and religious freedom in America.
- What is Marriage? Man & Woman: A Defense by Shirif Girgis, Ryan Anderson and Robert George
A philosophical approach to the question: What is Marriage? This book was referenced by two Supreme Court Justices in their dissents from the decisions on marriage in 2013 and 2015 respectively.
- What We Can’t Not Know by J. Budziszewski
An exploration of natural law without using the conventional language for it.
- Why Not Same-Sex Marriage by Daniel Heimbach
An extensive index of the most common arguments for the redefinition of marriage with simplicity and clarity.
Sociology on Marriage and Parenting
- Do Fathers Matter? by Paul Raeburn
A sociological and evolutionary perspective on the role of fathers in their children’s lives.
- Jephthah’s Daughters: Innocent casualties in the war for ‘family equality’ edited by Robert Oscar Lopez and Rivka Edelman
First-person narratives from a number of adults who grew up in households with same-sex couples or in which one or the other parent were living a homosexual or “transgender” lifestyle.
- Making Gay Okay by Robert Reilly
An exploration of the societal conditions and philosophical underpinnings of the “Gay Rights” movement.
- Made This Way: How to Prepare Kids to Face Today’s Tough Moral Issues by Leila Miller with Trent Horn
This book handles hot-button issues with clarity and truth and can help parents navigate these conversations with their kids. It helpfully separates the conversations between younger and older children, getting more detailed as the children grow up and have more serious questions.
Pastoral Care for People with Same-Sex Attraction
- Homosexuality and the Catholic Church: Clear Answers to Difficult Questions by Fr. John Harvey
The priest who began the ministry of Courage examines pastoral challenges in question-and-answer form.
- Living the Truth in Love: Pastoral Approaches to Same-Sex Attraction edited by Janet E. Smith and Fr. Paul Check
A compilation of theological writings, pastoral essays, and testimonials about same-sex attraction and the Church.
- Ministry to Persons with a Homosexual Inclination: Guidelines for Pastoral Care
Statement from the USCCB in 2006.
- Courage International Chaplain Handbook
- Vatican & USCCB
- “Male and female he created them” by the Congregation for Catholic Education (English), (Español)
Towards a path of dialogue on the question of gender theory in education.
- Keys to Bioethics by the Dicastery for Laity, Family, and Life
See pages 108-118.
- Doctrinal Note on the Moral Limits to Technological Manipulation of the Human Body
- Living in the Image and Likeness of God by the Catholic Bishops of Alaska
- A Catechesis on the Human Person and Gender Ideology by Bishop Michael F. Burbidge
- Compassion and Challenge by Archbishop Robert J. Carlson
- On the Unity of the Body and Soul by Archbishop Paul S. Coakley
- The Body-Soul Unity of the Human Person, a joint letter by Archbishop Salvatore J. Cordileone and Bishop Michael C. Barber, SJ
- The Truth Will Set Us Free by Bishop James Conley
- A Catholic Response to Gender Identity Theory by the Diocese of Boise
- Parish & School Policy on Issues of Sexuality and Gender Identity by the Diocese of Cleveland
- Cover Letter by Bishop Edward C. Malesic, Bishop of Cleveland
- The Splendor of the Human Person by the Archdiocese of Denver
- Gender Identity Guide and Policies by the Diocese of Des Moines
- Pastoral Guide to Gender Identity by the Diocese of Fairbanks
- Education Policy Manual by the Diocese of Green Bay
2022 updates, see pages 7-15, 69-78, and 90-94.
- Policy and Complementary Norms by the Archdiocese of Indianapolis
- We Are One in Christ: A Pastoral Letter on Fundamentals of Christian Anthropology by Archbishop Charles C. Thompson, Archdiocese of Indianapolis
- Policy on the Human Body as a Constitutive Aspect of the Human Person by the Diocese of Lansing
- Theological Guide by the Diocese of Lansing
- Policies and Procedures by the Diocese of Little Rock
- Teaching on Gender Identity by the Diocese of Manchester
- Created in the Image and Likeness of God by the Diocese of Marquette
- Catechesis and Policy on Questions Concerning Gender Theory by the Archdiocese of Milwaukee
- Guiding Principles for Catholic Schools and Religious Education Concerning Human Sexuality and Sexual Identity by the Catholic Bishops of Minnesota
- Gender Policy in Schools by the Archdiocese of Omaha
- A Catholic Response to Gender Identity Theory by the Archdiocese of Portland
- Gender Identity Policy by the Diocese of Salina
- Pastoral Guide by the Diocese of Springfield
- Diocesan Policy: Conforming with the Church’s Teaching on Human Sexuality in Education Settings by the Diocese of Sioux Falls
- Arlington Parent Coalition
Resources for parents in Arlington, VA to resist public schools’ attempts to institute gender theory.
- Helping Our Children Navigate Gender Ideology by CanaVox
A three-part video series covering the elementary, middle, and high school years.
- Human Sexuality in Catholic Education by the Cardinal Newman Society
Principles and examples of policy standards for Catholic educational institutions.
- Position Paper by the Catholic Medial Association
- Guiding Principles by the Minnesota Catholic Conference
- Parent Resource Guide by the Minnesota Family Council
- Resources on Bioethics Topics by the National Catholic Bioethics Center
See section on “Gender Identity & Being Transgender”
- Brief Statement on Transgenderism by the National Catholic Bioethics Center
- Person and Identity Project
An initiative of the Catholic Women’s Forum committed to promoting the Catholic vision of the human person and responding to the challenges of gender ideology.
Literature, Drama, and Other Resources
- Brave New Family by G.K. Chesterton
Compilation of essays by Chesterton on family life.
- By Love Refined by Alice von Hildebrand
Collection of letters to a young bride
- The Jeweler’s Shop by Karol Wojtyla (John Paul II)
A play that explores human love and marriage.
- That Hideous Strength by C.S.Lewis
Marriage plays an important role in this book in Lewis’s Space Trilogy
- Wing to Wing, Oar to Oar edited by Amy and Leon Kass
Selections from literature and essays that explore sexual difference, love, and marriage.
USCCB Helpful Links
Helpful resources related to the Church’s teaching on marriage, the family, and the person. Particularly: Ministry to Persons with a Homosexual Inclination: Guidelines for Pastoral Care
Web Banners & Media
We have a library of banner ads that can be used on Web sites and in publications to promote “Marriage: Unique for a Reason.” If you’d like to put the MUR Logo on your bulletin or other publication, here are the Approved Logos for Media Use