Information from the USCCB is found on the Promotion and Defense of Marriage page. This includes resources from the USCCB on gender ideology, and various responses of the bishops regarding current events.
In addition, the USCCB site For Your Marriage is an excellent source for marriage preparation and enrichment. In particular, check out the Bishops’ Pastoral Letter on Marriage from 2009, the pastoral response to pornography “Create in Me a Clean Heart,” and the Pope Francis Corner which keeps track of the Holy Father’s words about marriage and family.
Please note that the following content on this page is provided solely for your information and should not be interpreted as an official endorsement of the resources listed. To the best of our knowledge, the information listed here did not conflict with Catholic teaching and was accurate at the time of posting.
Marriage in Theology
- Compendium on the Family and Human Life from the Pontifical Council for the Family
Compilation of Papal teaching on life, marriage, and family
- Theology of the Body by John Paul II
Collection of audiences in which the Holy Father laid out a comprehensive theology of the body and its nuptial meaning.
- Love and Responsibility by Karol Wojtyla (John Paul II)
Based on his extensive pastoral experience with married couples, this book sets out JPII’s personalistic viewpoint on human love and sexuality.
- Not Just Good, But Beautiful
A compilation of academic papers from the Humanum conference in Rome in 2014, including Pope Francis’ opening remarks. This work is ecumenical and interreligious in scope.
- Three to Get Married by Fulton Sheen
Classic text examining the relationship of the married couple and God.
Philosophy and Law on the Meaning of Marriage
- Debating Same-Sex Marriage by John Corvino and Maggie Gallagher
In this debate-book, both Corvino and Gallagher put forth what they consider the best arguments for their side of the issue and refute the others’ position.
- Defending Marriage by Anthony Esolen
The Dante scholar from Providence College lays out “Twelve Arguments for Sanity” regarding marriage.
- Same-Sex Marriage and Religious Liberty edited by Douglas Laycock, Anthony Picarello, Jr., and Robin Fretwell Wilson
A focused look at the American legal system and the possible effects of marriage redefinition on religious freedom.
- Truth Overruled by Ryan Anderson
An analysis of the Supreme Court decision in Obergefell v. Hodges and its implications for culture and religious freedom in America.
- What is Marriage? Man & Woman: A Defense by Shirif Girgis, Ryan Anderson and Robert George
A philosophical approach to the question: What is Marriage? This book was referenced by two Supreme Court Justices in their dissents from the decisions on marriage in 2013 and 2015 respectively.
- What We Can’t Not Know by J. Budziszewski
An exploration of natural law without using the conventional language for it.
- Why Not Same-Sex Marriage by Daniel Heimbach
An extensive index of the most common arguments for the redefinition of marriage with simplicity and clarity.
Sociology on Marriage and Parenting
- Do Fathers Matter? by Paul Raeburn
A sociological and evolutionary perspective on the role of fathers in their children’s lives.
- Jephthah’s Daughters: Innocent casualties in the war for ‘family equality’ edited by Robert Oscar Lopez and Rivka Edelman
First-person narratives from a number of adults who grew up in households with same-sex couples or in which one or the other parent were living a homosexual or “transgender” lifestyle.
- Making Gay Okay by Robert Reilly
An exploration of the societal conditions and philosophical underpinnings of the “Gay Rights” movement.
Pastoral Care for People with Same-Sex Attraction
- Homosexuality and the Catholic Church: Clear Answers to Difficult Questions by Fr. John Harvey
The priest who began the ministry of Courage examines pastoral challenges in question-and-answer form.
- Living the Truth in Love: Pastoral Approaches to Same-Sex Attraction edited by Janet E. Smith and Fr. Paul Check
A compilation of theological writings, pastoral essays, and testimonials about same-sex attraction and the Church.
- Ministry to Persons with a Homosexual Inclination: Guidelines for Pastoral Care
Statement from the USCCB in 2006.
Literature, Drama, and Other Resources
- Brave New Family G.K. Chesterton
Compilation of essays by Chesterton on family life.
- By Love Refined by Alice von Hildebrand
Collection of letters to a young bride
- The Jeweler’s Shop by Karol Wojtyla (John Paul II)
A play that explores human love and marriage.
- That Hideous Strength by C.S.Lewis
Marriage plays an important role in this book in Lewis’s Space Trilogy
- Wing to Wing, Oar to Oar edited by Amy and Leon Kass
Selections from literature and essays that explore sexual difference, love, and marriage.
USCCB Helpful Links
Helpful resources related to the Church’s teaching on marriage, the family, and the person. Particularly: Ministry to Persons with a Homosexual Inclination: Guidelines for Pastoral Care
Web Banners & Media
We have a library of banner ads that can be used on Web sites and in publications to promote “Marriage: Unique for a Reason.” If you’d like to put the MUR Logo on your bulletin or other publication, here are the Approved Logos for Media Use