Infertility is a reality for thousands of Catholic marriages. On this episode of Made for Love: how married couples face the cross of infertility together, and find love through it. Sara and Tom Faenhle, Chris and Emily (nee Stimpson) Chapman, Jen and Mark Crowley of Sarah’s Hope and Abraham’s Promise, and Connie Poulos of the USCCB are featured on the episode.
Here is the text of the prayer that Connie talked about in the episode:
A TRIBUTE HONORING THE EXPERIENCE OF MOTHERS
*Adapted from, A Litany for Mother’s Day, Amy Young
Following the prayer After Communion, the presider says the following:
Presider: St. Paul tells us in his letter to the Romans, “Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.” On this day, when we acknowledge the importance of motherhood, we are grateful for all who have shown us a Mother’s love, and grieve with those who are experiencing pain and loss.
- To those who gave birth this year to their first child—we celebrate with you.
- To those who lost a child this year—we mourn with you.
- To those who experienced loss through miscarriage, failed adoptions or running away—we mourn with you.
- To those who walk the hard path of infertility, fraught with pokes, prods, tears and disappointment—we walk with you. Forgive us when we say foolish things. We don’t mean to make things harder.
- To those who are foster moms, mentor moms and spiritual moms—we need you.
- To those who have warm and close relationships with your children—we celebrate with you.
- To those who have disappointment, heartache and distance with your children—we sit with you.
- To those who lost their mothers this year—we grieve with you.
- To those who experienced abuse at the hands of your own mother—we acknowledge your experience.
- To those who have aborted children—we remember them and you on this day.
- To those who are single and long to be married and mothering your own children—we mourn that life has not turned out the way you longed for it to be.
- To those who stepparent—we walk with you on these complex paths.
- To those who envisioned lavishing love on grandchildren, yet that dream is not to be, we grieve with you.
- To those who will have emptier nests in the upcoming year—we grieve and rejoice with you.
- To those who placed children for adoption—we commend you for your selflessness and remember how you hold that child in your heart.
- To those who are pregnant with new life, both expected and surprising—we anticipate with you.
- And to our Blessed Mother, as we celebrate the 100th anniversary of Our Lady of Fatima —we thank you for your example and motherly love, which leads us always to the divine love of your Son.
Follow with the Blessing of Mothers on the following page.Read More